I just returned from vacationing out of the country. Despite living in paradise for a week, completely unplugged from reality, work did cross my mind. My husband and I found ourselves talking about the “Ritz-Carlton service,” and how we wished every company used this standard of customer service. During our getaway, we were waited on by cheerful staff that were accommodating, responsive, and helpful. They created an unforgettable experience, and from the moment we arrived home, we’ve been planning for the next time we can visit again. Regardless of the industry in which you work, you can apply the “Ritz Carlton service values” to ensure customer satisfaction.
Taken from their website, here is a summary of a few of the company’s gold standards for customer service:
- Anticipate your customer’s needs
- Respond quickly to any wishes, both expressed and unexpressed, of your customers
- Establish a personal relationship by creating unique experiences for your customers
- Eliminate the need to go up the corporate ladder to fix a problem
- Be on the look-out for ways to improve and add value to your customer’s experience
- Maintain professionalism in every aspect of customer interaction
These seem very basic and straightforward, almost something that should be required of anyone in the service industry. But when was the last time someone provided you with a wow experience when you were dining out, making a purchase at a store, or calling about your cellphone plan? If you want to satisfy your customers, responsiveness and follow through go a long way. They build trust and integrity. Remember, happy customers equal repeat customers.